Crispy. Cheesy. Melty. Ooey-Gooey.
These are just a few words that have been used to describe these fritters filled with homemade pimento cheese. Essentially, these little guys are pimento cheese that has been breaded and fried. However, their flavor is complex and their breading is perfectly crisp. The layers of egg wash and flour keep the cheese together while the panko coating creates a crispy, crunchy, toasted outside layer that gives way to melty cheddar, acidic dill pickle and slightly-sweet pimentos. It’s everything you’ve ever wanted – and now you can make it at home.
Here’s How to Make Our Pimento Cheese Fritters:
The combination of flavors in our pimento cheese blend is what really puts these over the edge. The Khune brand dill pickle is mild, so it adds acidity but doesn’t overpower the beautifully rich Hoop cheddar. The pimentos are barely spicy, and just sweet enough to bring yet another layer of flavor. We also add smoked paprika, freshly minced garlic, and a dash of hot sauce for a vinegar-y tang. We used avocado-oil mayonnaise to bind the mixture together, then a wash of flour and egg to seal. Finally, we roll them in panko and fry until crisp and golden brown.
They will come out of the fryer golden brown and crispy. Line a bowl with paper towels and let the fritters drain of any excess oil for a moment or two (if you can wait that long) before you taste.
We dare you not to eat all of these in one sitting…
Printable Recipe for Pimento Cheese Fritters:
- Approximately 1.5 lbs of grated Hoop cheddar cheese
- 14 oz Jar Diced Pimentos
- ½ Cup Avocado Mayonnaise
- 3 Cloves Minced garlic
- 1 diced dill pickle
- 2 tbsp. pickle juice brine
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp Smoked Paprika
- ½ tsp White Pepper
- Dash of hot sauce (we use Crystal)
- Panko bread crumbs
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 Cup Flour
- Oil for frying
- In a large bowl, combine the cheese, pimentos, garlic, pickle and juice, hot sauce and spices. Stir well.
- Let the flavors in the cheese mix combine while you prep the ingredients for the breading.
- Line up 3 containers with (from left to right): flour, egg, and panko bread crumbs.
- Using a disher, scoop even spoonfuls of the pimento cheese.
- Roll the cheese into a ball and then coat with flour.
- Next, coat in the egg wash.
- Then cover the cheese balls in panko breadcrumbs and set aside.
- Repeat steps 4-7 until all of your pimento cheese has been used and breaded.
- Bring oil to 350 degrees F.
- Using a fryer basket, place the fritters in the fryer oil for 2.5 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown and floating to the top.
- Let drain for a moment in a paper-towel lined bowl.
- Let cool and enjoy!